Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Play it again, Sam... or don't.

Musicians are some of the most fickle, temperamental, schizophrenic, and opinionated listeners that exist.  I have been known to quit shopping and leave stores because of the music that was being played over the speakers.  I remember being at a friend's birthday party and asking if I could skip to the next song because I found Rick Astley sonically offensive. 
 
I realize that hearing a bad song doesn't justify rudeness - at least I realize that now.  It is similar to a situation where someone is at a friends' house for dinner or at a restaurant and gets something on his or her plate that they really don't like to eat.  There are polite ways to moving past this and there are rude ways.  I have done both.  There are some things (bands like Sublime or Red Hot Chili Peppers or Rick Astley) that  call for immediate action.  Other times, you just have to ignore the mess of chords, melodies, lyrics, etc, that somebody considered a "song".
 
Most people don't have the same objections to sound though.  Most people can "tune things out" and go on with the task at hand.  I relate to this sometimes...
 
Here is a good breakdown of the music that I hear:
 


 
What I would like to do in the blog is focus on the "I like this" and "I love this" categories.  You may or may not agree with some of my selections - after all, music IS subjective.  This is the very reason that I can't take my opinions of music too seriously and must give others the credit for being intelligent to make up their own categories, ratios, and breakdowns of what they listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment