Thursday, August 20, 2020

The background for my Music Snobbery

I grew up in the 80's.  The 80's were a time for styles and experimentation.  Equipment was coming out that allowed budget bands to make some really interesting music.  Synthesizers had become cheap and easily obtained.  Guitar was often disguised with effects of different sorts.  Drums were heavily reverbed and gated.  Bass was often played slap style.  Personally, I believe that slap bass ruined the 80's.  My friend Dave claims that gated reverb on drums ruined the 80's.  Whichever is the truth, the 80's were probably more ruined by Spandau Ballet, Gloria Estefan, Footloose, and Animotion.

Despite all of the pop drab that was charting (for some unknown reason) in the 80's, there was quite a lot of great music made in this era as well.

When I was young, the first record I bought was "back in black" by ACDC.  I bought it from a cousin.  I didn't know any better.  I was in first grade.  I thought it was "cool". It wasn't.

Soon I graduated from Hall and Oats to the New Wave/ post Punk sound of the 80s.  Moving through Howard Jones, Human League, Thompson Twins, The Cure, The Smiths, and Depeche Mode, to Laibach, Einsturzende Neubatten, Fad Gadget, Tear Garden, And Also the Trees, etc. 

and more modern to These New Puritans, Linea Aspera, Trentemoller, Washed Out, Grizzly Bear, Ulrich Schnauss, etc, etc.  

I will write individual reviews later.


Much of my favorite music to this day still stems from that era. 

No comments:

Post a Comment